One of the top tours right to the heart of the Ötztal glacier world leads up to scenic Langtalereckhütte. Starting in the high Alpine village of Obergurgl, located in the foothills of Gurgler Tal valley at 1910 m above sea level, you follow the 7 km long gravel trail which features no major challenges. But the permanently rising trail should not be underrated either!
From the Gurgl ski area you bike towards picturesque Schönwieshütte, a refuge hut at 2270 m above sea level. After a refreshment stop you continue circling Schönwieskopf summit: this section features some 50 meters of vertical descent. Breathe deeply again before you conquer the last steep ascent to the hut.
The steep trail climbs in different stages towards quaint Langtalereckhütte where a hearty mountain snack is waiting for you. The mountain hut itself is located at the edge of a high Alpine basin formed by the glacier snouts of Gurgler Ferner in times long past.
Today the eternal ice moved back towards the main Alpine ridge but you can still admire the glittering snow fields of Kleinleitenspitze and Schalfkogel mountain peaks. Return to Obergurgl on the same route.
Tips and hintsMore details about biking & cycling in Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/biken
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.